The Talk of Europe – Travelling CLARIN Campus project aims to instigate pan-European collaboration by organising three international creative camps in 2014 and 2015. The creative camp intends to bring together developers and academic researchers, with the goal of making inventive use of the European Parliament’s dataset, exploiting web and natural language processing techniques to add new knowledge and functionality to the dataset. The first camp will be held 6-10 October at the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision in Hilversum, the Netherlands.
The event will comprise five consecutive days, which will include 1) presentations by humanities scholars and political scientists on how they use political datasets, 2) presentations by computer scientists showing best practices from other projects and 3) practical sessions for tool development.
In order to participate, the TOE organisers welcome proposals describing ambitions for research tools and/or links with other datasets. Submissions should describe the following:
General description of idea (should not exceed 1000 words) including:
- The research tool to be developed.
- The datasets to be used.
- The scholarly research problem or question to be addressed. For inspiration, please see www.talkofeurope.eu/cfp/inspiration.
- Contact info and a short description of research interests for all participants who would like to attend.
- A work plan to indicate feasibility of proof-of-concept creation in 5 days.
- A description of how the tool will be made available after the creative camp.
The project is conducted within the framework of CLARIN (Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure), which aims to equip scholars in the humanities and social sciences with easy and sustainable access to digital language data through advanced tools.